History of the Fulton Rotary Club

The Fulton Rotary Club was chartered March 15, 1923, as the ninth club in the state of Missouri (Kansas City, St. Louis, Jefferson City, Kirksville, Hannibal, Moberly, Mexico and Columbia were founded between 1910 and 1922). In the fall of 1922, Frank Rollins, president of the Columbia club, approached Nick T. Cave about the possibility of his club sponsoring a new club in Fulton. Cave spoke to other men in Fulton, and they readily agreed to form a club.

In an account of the beginning of the club, Curt Blattner wrote that they met often, reviewed names of prospective members and selected only those executives in their trade or profession with high ethical standards and practices. “A finer group of men,” Blattner said, “was never assembled than this group of charter members of the Fulton Rotary Club.”  The 22 charter members were:

  • Harry “Mike” Atkinson

  • W. Ed “Pedie” Jameson

  • Robert O. “Oscar” Baker

  • Greene D. McCall

  • M. Fred “General” Bell

  • J. Burlie McCubbin

  • Ovid Bell

  • H. Clay “Mud” McGregor

  • Sam K. “Blick” Black

  • Luther U. “Uncle Luther” Nickell

  • Curtis E. “Curt” Blattner

  • John R. “Johnny” Pratt

  • Nick T. Cave

  • E. E. Reed

  • Richard H. “Dick” Crossfield

  • George T. “Percy” Reily

  • T. Harrison “T” Grant

  • Waldo F. “Cap” Smith

  • Elmer C. “Slick” Henderson

  • J. Roy “Roy” Tucker

  • Boulware H. “Bo” Jameson

  • Matt Wymore

© 2016-2019 by the Rotary Club of Fulton, Missouri.